Important note:

This blog acts as Yuli's portfolio. Most of these posts link to the blogs and websites they were originally published on. Yuli's main blog is Nerd Alert and her book reviews can be found on Goodreads.

Saturday 6 July 2019

Writing Landscape exercise (Mistborn inspired)


 Ash didn’t fall from the sky.

   I stood on the top of a building in the middle of Elendel, my coat fluttering in the wind. My eyes were watering because of the chilliness of the outside air, while I was perching on the roof of the tall construction, trying to see as far ahead of me, as possible.

   This place had changed so much from my last visit. It seemed… normal almost boring compared to the one in my memories. I remembered a time when the city was called Luthadel and there was ash falling from the sky almost like black snow. I could remember the streets being littered by beggars and hurt skaa, but most of all, I could recall the cracking of the noblemen's whips when they decided to punish the weaker race for standing in the way, for begging or just for their mere existence. 

   The streets of Luthadel had been full of fallen ash, nobody really knew why it had been this way, flowers, yellow sun and clear blue sky were as good as a myth back then a story of times long past. There was one person in particular who used to carry a piece of paper with a flower on it the last gift from his long-dead wife, that he had been holding on to for years, trying to change the world. He didn't know that it was possible, I'm not sure he even believed that flowers had existed but at the time he needed a reason to keep his sanity and carry on living.

   I looked over at the buildings before me, the sun blinding me, making my eyes water even more. How could it be sunny and so chilly at the same time? I could hear the strange noises of what was called a 'train' – a massive metal thing that could carry people from one place to another – it was a rather noisy kind of transportation if you asked me. All I could think about was the waste of metal. During the old times, it would be saved for people would need it, when new mistings were going to discover their gifts, they would need to ingest some metal in order to give more power to their abilities.

   The world had changed so much during my absence, it was like a whole new era had arrived which is what had happened during my three hundred years of absence, I guess. There was no more ash on the streets and I'm pretty sure the people of the city would freak out if they saw ash falling from the sky. They did not remember the times when the sky was black and the sun red. There were no more skaa being beaten or killed in cold blood on the streets. To be honest, I'm not sure anybody knew what a skaa was, people were now so mixed up together that everybody probably had a bit of noble and skaa blood in them. They probably knew about their past, there were some statues of Vin and Elend, of Kelsier and even Spook. They were known with different names now but I would always remember them as the people who righted and saved the world.

   All forgotten now.

   I wanted to know how they would react if they could see it now, after they fought for it so hard. There was greenery, there were flowers and trees and sun, there wasn't any ash anymore but beautiful flora, various fauna, like some kind of paradise. I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty before me even with all of its imperfections. I knew this world's story, after all. I knew how much it has gone through.

   From my place on the rooftop in the middle of Elendel I had the feeling that I could see the whole world a pretty delusion but still. It was so beautiful, the new architecture, the new technology and the people – with all their imperfections – they were also beautiful. The terrifying old days when nobody could walk on the streets without the fear of being killed for merely breathing the same air as the nobles were over and what was even better now was that there were forces whose job was to look after Elendel's citizens and protect them.

   I sighed and turned my back on this beautiful new world. It wasn't the world I knew, it was a better one, a far safer one and I did not belong in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment