Important note:

This blog acts as Yuli's portfolio. Most of these posts link to the blogs and websites they were originally published on. Yuli's main blog is Nerd Alert and her book reviews can be found on Goodreads.

Monday 5 August 2019

Monologue script



  (An author sits at a café with her editor, trying to resolve a problem in her story.)

   I need to kill somebody. I need to kill somebody whose death will destroy them. I need to hit them right in their weakest spot. So who would the best candidate be?

   (Her editor tries to speak but is interrupted by the author.)

   Would it be Oswyn, the guy who came out of nowhere, right into her life again? He has been absent for seven years and the only reason he came back is that he needed help. Is he likeable and lovable enough to be killed off? Would they love him? Would they hate him? Would they miss him? Would it destroy them?

   (The author takes a few notes and looks up at her editor.)

  And what about her? Would she be affected by his death? Would she suffer? Can I imagine what it would be like to witness your soul mate's death? But… Wait. They aren't soul mates and I have a lot more to write about them. I shouldn't kill him… yet. I'm not even sure if it would be a good idea. I might not be able to describe her reaction and mourning well enough for this one. She would be devastated but would I be able to write it well enough?

  No. I'm not that good. Yet.

  Wait a second. I said that Oswyn's eyes are black, I've written here that they are blue.

   (She corrects the mistake she has made in her manuscript.)

  I'd better kill somebody else. But who would that be? Do I kill her? Cassidy is her closest friend. I've made her likeable enough to be missed. She would be utterly ruined at the death of her best friend but… But their story isn't over yet. I need to show her past, how they met and became friends, I need to write so much more about her and if there is a past story for me to tell, then I can tell the one in the present as well. But this would be the third book. If I manage to go that far.

   No. I need to kill somebody else.

  (The author takes a quick sip of tea and taps her chin, thinking.)

  But who would be the perfect person for me to kill off?

  What about Garry? They've been together the longest and I can't think of a story to tell about him. I've made him too flat. Why? He has to have a better personality. I need to develop him, make him likeable, I need to make him witty and smart. But I'm not witty enough for that. I could try, couldn't I? I've written about smarter characters than me before so this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

   Yes. I will make him likeable, I will tell their story and then, when my dear readers least expect it, I will kill him off.

   (The author smiles at her editor and takes some more notes.)

   How do I kill him, though? I always like to make my characters run in front of their friends or loved ones and give their life so the other one can live but that's a cliché I'm tired of.

  How should I kill him…

  Well, it depends on the situation they are in. I may leave it for later when it's time to do it. The most important part, for now, is that I figured it out.

   (The author makes a long pause, during which she writes down several lines of text.)

   And now I even have the opening lines. This is just perfect. Yes, I will kill him and the first chapter of the second book will start with her in front of his grave. I'm confident enough in my writing to know that I'd be able to describe her feelings, her loss… I'll have to write a lot about friends and strong relationships, support and love… I have so much to write about.

   But for now, let me start from the beginning and we'll see how far I'll get with this idea. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

   (The author smiles and starts typing on her computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment